We wish Mrs. Michele O’Loughlin and Mrs. Ana Gonzalez the best in their retirements. We also wish Mrs. Erica Kalustian and Mr. Chris Kumka the best of luck as they move to other positions. Mrs. Kalustian is teaching at St. Peter Claver, and Mr. Kumka and his family are moving to Maine. All have been a big part of the AHN community and will be missed.
Dr. Tricia Dieck is moving to be the PreK-4th Grade Science teacher. This is a new position that was created for this school year.
Employee Role Changes
- Mrs. Reina Alvarado-Borjas is moving to the High School to teach Spanish.
- Mrs. Megan Hendrickson is replacing Mrs. O’Loughlin as the Lower School Library and Innovation Media Specialist.
- Mrs. Mary Alice Lopez is replacing Dr. Dieck as the Middle School Curriculum and Instructional Coach.
- Sister Lisa Perkowski is the Interim High Principal after serving as the Director of Mission and Ministry.
- Ms. Lori Troutman has moved from High School Registrar to teach high school math and science.
- Ms. Bailey Queensland was with AHN as a long-term substitute and has taken on the role of High School Registrar.
New Personnel - Elementary School
- Mrs. Lauren Plush is the Pre-K-4th grade guidance and learning counselor. Lauren just relocated from Chicago, where she worked as a counselor at Sacred Heart Schools. Prior to that, she worked in a private practice for counseling and therapy.
- Mrs. Elizabeht Gandarilla is the PreK-4th grade Spanish teacher. Elizabeht has a bachelor's in Spanish and Italian literature from the University of Kyiv in Ukraine. She has taught Spanish at a variety of different schools, most recently in Washington, D.C.
- Mr. Michael Oakes will be the 8th grade language arts and religion teacher. Michael graduated with his bachelor's degree from Suffolk University. He relocated from Connecticut, where he taught for 12 years.
- Ms. Cassidy Gourley will be the 7th grade science and religion teacher. An AHN alumna, Cassidy received her master's at the University of Florida. She taught in Gainesville and most recently worked for the University of Florida.
- Mrs. Lynn Peate will be the 7th and 8th grade Spanish teacher. Lynn has her master's in Spanish from the University of South Florida and has spent 24 years at St. Mary's Episcopal Day School.
- Ms. Laura Monge will be the 8th grade social studies and religion teacher. Laura graduated with her bachelor’s degree from the University of South Florida and most recently has taught in the Hillsborough County School System.
- Ms. Melanie Huamani, an AHN alumna, will be a Pre-K teaching assistant joining Mrs. Andrea Arcos. Ms. Huamani has worked in our Extended Day program and has subbed for us the past year!
- Ms. Angela Juan will be joining the Extended Day team. She previously worked as a caregiver.
New Personnel - High School
- Mr. Jose Ramos joins AHN as a high school college counselor. Jose worked as an admissions counselor at St. John Fisher College in Rochester, New York. He received his master’s in business administration from St. John Fisher College.
- Ms. Kris Kosaka and Dr. Allison Alberts join the English department. Kris has a Master of Fine Arts in creative writing from the University of British Columbia. She has taught English for the past 20 years both in Florida and abroad. Allison graduated with a PhD. from Fordham University. She taught at Fordham, in Connecticut and most recently in California.
- Mr. Robert Bishop and Ms. Jennifer Shannon are new high school math teachers. Robert was an analytical chemist before moving into the education field, where he has been since 2017. Robert received a Master of Science Education from Lehigh University. Jennifer has 20 years of experience teaching a variety of math courses domestically and internationally. She has taught in Tampa and Germany, Japan, and South Korea.
- Ms. Tobey Sonenberg is a high school art teacher. Tobey went to William Carey College where she received a Bachelor of Fine Arts. She has been teaching art in the area since 2006.
Mrs. Molly Duveneck Smith A’88 joins the Academy as Director of Advancement. Molly served on the Board of Trustees at St. Mary’s Episcopal Day School, including as chairperson from 2011-2014, before moving on to Jesuit High School as the school’s Annual Fund Director. Molly earned her B.B.A. in marketing from Southern Methodist University. She resides in Tampa with her husband Brian, daughter Margaret A’23, and sons Matthew and Andrew.
Last but certainly not least, we welcome Mr. Kevin P. Whitney to the Academy family as the seventh president in the school’s 140-year history. Whitney's career in Catholic education includes numerous and increasingly responsible posts at Malvern Prep, an Augustinian school in Malvern, Penn., and then at La Salle College High School, a Lasallian school in Wyndmoor, Penn. He has served as dean of students, registrar, director of 21st century learning and is currently the dean of academic affairs at La Salle. He also has a background in educational entrepreneurship, giving him a unique skill set that will help the school further engage with the local community, key business partners and its strong alumni base.