The Academy of the Holy Names established the Visiting Artist Series to support alumni who engage professionally in the arts, to educate students about the many different career paths available in the arts, to celebrate arts in society and to provide the AHN community the opportunity to experience art in a gallery setting.
2020 Visiting Artist: Maggie C.A. Hogarth A'93
The Fine Arts Department welcomes author, artist, and AHN alumna, Maggie C.A. Hogarth, neé de Alarcon, as our guest artist for the 16th annual Visiting Artist event. Please join us on Wednesday, February 5, 2020 in the Michael & Candace Valdes Gallery, Bailey Family Center for the Arts, from 4:00-5:00 pm for a reception and exhibition, and 5:00-6:30 p.m. for a presentation and Q & A.
Daughter of two Cuban political exiles, M.C.A. Hogarth was born a foreigner in the American melting pot and has had a fascination for the gaps in cultures and the bridges that span them ever since. She has been many things—web database architect, product manager, technical writer and massage therapist—but is currently a full-time parent, artist, writer and anthropologist to aliens, both human and otherwise.
Her fiction has variously been recommended for a Nebula, a finalist for the Spectrum, placed on the Tiptree long list and chosen for two best-of anthologies; her art has appeared in RPGs, magazines and on book covers. M.C.A. Hogarth also served as Vice President of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America for three years.
Her current focus is new business models for artists and independent marketing and distribution innovations. It’s an exciting time to be working in the arts, with expanding choices for creative professionals willing to capitalize on those opportunities! Her first crowdfunded fiction project kicked off in 2004 before the word was even coined. M.C.A. has experimented with everything from “choose-your-own-adventure” style serials online to kick-starting creative projects and is looking forward to future experiments in using technology to bring art directly to the audience.
To learn more about Maggie C.A. Hogarth, visit MCAHogarth.org.
Wednesday, February 5, 2020
Michael & Candace Valdes Gallery, Bailey Family Center for the Arts
Reception, Presentation and Gallery Viewing
PAST ARTISTS HAVE INCLUDED:
- Kim West A’94, painting
- Molly Lawrence A’72, painting
- Jacquelyn Clements A’00, art historian
- Erin Martino A’97, photographer
- Katie McKeown A’01, photographer and art historian
- Molly Spaight A’01, graphic designer
- Averie Storck A’87, director and screen writer
- Rebecca Brown A’94, film maker
- Sister Mary Paula Turnbull, SNJM, sculptor
- Leyna Haller A’99, film maker, costume and prop designer and graphic designer
- Ricardo Pau-Llosa B’67, poet, curator, critic and patron of the arts
- Jessica Hemmings A'94, academic, writer
- Nicole Corvette Hockin A'94, brand strategist, blogger
- Sofia Sanchez A'08, graphic designer, producer, painter
- Alma Cuervo A'69, actress
- Emily O'Loughlin A'09, architect
- Julianne Collins A'08, interior designer
- Kathryn Reina A'06, creative designer