7th and 8th Grade
In order to set you up for success at the start of the year, you will complete some work over the summer. The purpose of summer work is to reinforce skills students have mastered so the transition to the next grade is made more smoothly.
As part of our math program, students will use an online program, ALEKS math. ALEKS math works in conjunction with our math texts. All students must use a composition notebook to show their work to all of the problems they complete in ALEKS. The work needs to be numbered. This composition notebook should be turned in to their math teacher on the first day of school. The math summer work will be counted as a quiz grade.
You can access the website by using the directions below:
- Go to https://my.mheducation.com/login
- Enter the username and password that were mailed to you.
- Rising 7th Graders: Click on To-Do in the Course I box
- Rising 8th Graders: Click on To-Do in the Math Accelerated box
- Click on the ALEKS icon.
- Click on the next ALEKS icon.
- A new window will open. Take the Tools Tutorial which will introduce you to navigating in ALEKS.
- Finish the tour. At the end of the tour, click on the 3 lines in the upper left-hand corner of the screen (click on the lines, not the word ALEKS).
- Select ASSIGNMENTS.
- You will see 5 different assignments that need to be completed. ALL assignments must be completed. It is recommended you complete the assignments in chronological order, 1-5.
- Clicking on the Worked Example button at the bottom of the screen will explain how to complete a problem if you are unsure.
- If you do not score an 80% or higher on an assignment, you need to complete up to 2 Quick Retakes to attempt mastery. To complete a Quick Retake, go back to the list of assignments and click on the assignment again.
- The online work in ALEKS and the composition notebook must be completed by the first day of school. It will be counted as a quiz grade.
Contact Dr. Tricia Dieck via email at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.