AHN President Search
September 25, 2020
Dear Academy family,
After an extensive nationwide search process, the Board of Trustees is pleased to announce the appointment of Kevin Whitney as Academy of the Holy Names president, effective July 1, 2021. Kevin’s background, values and goals connect brilliantly with the future direction of the Academy, and we are delighted to welcome him to AHN.
Kevin's career in Catholic education includes numerous and increasingly responsible posts at Malvern Prep, an Augustinian school in Malvern, Penn., and then at La Salle College High School, a Lasallian school in Wyndmoor, Penn. He has served as dean of students, registrar, director of 21st century learning and is currently the dean of academic affairs at La Salle.
His experience with religious-sponsored schools is a decided asset. Throughout our extensive interview process, it was clear that he respects and will embrace the SNJM charism. He is energetic, enthusiastic, and we are confident he will represent the Academy well to all of our stakeholders. He also has a background in educational entrepreneurship, giving him a unique skillset that will help us further engage with our local community, key business partners and our strong alumni base.
Kevin and his wife, Pam, a Catholic school teacher, and daughters Libby, 3, and Maeve, 2, will be relocating to Tampa in early summer. We are not only gaining a new president, but also welcoming two future Jaguars! With relatives in Sarasota, the Sunshine State is near and dear to the Whitney family.
We look forward to welcoming Kevin to our AHN campus in the coming months. Leading up to this visit, we will be scheduling introductory communications with faculty, students and the AHN community.
I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to the Presidential Search Committee and Catholic School Management for their tremendous commitment and hard work over the past seven months. Each member contributed meaningful input that helped bring us to a successful outcome. Members of the search committee included:
- Ernie Garateix - President Search Committee chair, Board of Trustees chair, parent of Samantha A’18
- Greta Dupuy A’97 - past Board of Trustees vice chair
- Harold Astorquiza - Board of Trustees member, parent of Sara A’12 and Rachel A’14
- Daphne McConnie – Board of Trustees vice chair, parent of Luke A’16 and Macy A’18
- Sr. Carmella DeCosty, SNJM - SNJM Representative, Board of Trustees At Large representative
- Doug Bogle - Dads Club president, parent of Robert (7th grade) and Anna (5th grade)
- Lisa Griffin Hodgdon A’90 - Mothers Association past president/parliamentarian, parent of Griffin A’20 and Emma (7th grade)
- Darcy Dwyer - High School college counselor, 20 years
- Allison Warren Almendares A’06 - 2nd grade teacher
The search yielded 27 total applicants, a marvelous reflection on our school’s teachers, staff, leadership and families. A search process is arduous under any circumstances, and adding COVID to the mix was a challenge that was met with creativity and dedication.
I also want to thank President Art Raimo and his wife, Maureen, for all they have done for and brought to our Academy community during his 10 years of service. His work has successfully carried the Academy into the 21st century and laid the foundation for the Academy to continue its upward trajectory.
I am confident that with the continued commitment of this community and the leadership of our new president-elect, the Academy’s future is brighter than ever. We trust you will all join us in making Kevin a part of the AHN family.
Search Committee Chair, Board of Trustees Chair