The Academy of the Holy Names is an independent, Catholic, coeducational elementary school and a college preparatory high school for young women, sponsored by the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary. Our mission is to develop the spiritual, academic, personal and physical growth of each student within an atmosphere of care and concern, while providing quality educational opportunities for students of diverse ethnic, economic and religious backgrounds, and encouraging each student to realize his/her full potential as an intelligent and culturally, spiritually and socially aware individual.
What We Believe and Promote
With a tradition steeped in concern for social justice, the Academy has built a strong academic reputation since its founding in 1881. The school’s distinctive mission makes it possible for the administrators and faculty to incorporate the rich intellectual discourse and humanitarian concerns of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary into our programs.
The Academy of the Holy Names and its community values a unique educational model that is:
- Open to families of all faiths and backgrounds who share the school’s mission and values;
- Respectfully responsive to the needs of diverse learners;
- Holistic in its approach to each individual’s growth, development, health and wellness;
- Innovative in its development of curriculum that integrates technology, promotes creativity, encourages artistic expression and actively engages students in exploration and inquiry; and
- Dedicated to challenging all students to become proficient, confident, independent learners, critical and creative thinkers and skilled problem-solvers.
- The Lamp of Knowledge glows above and throughout the ideals of the school.
- The Cross and Three Lilies represent the vocational call of the Sisters of the Holy Names and their vows to poverty, chastity and obedience.
- The Dove symbolizes the Holy Spirit who dwells within our hearts and minds as we endeavor to live up to our ideals throughout the year.
- The Open Book symbolizes all of the academic studies, from the humanities to modern languages.
- The Atom depicts all the physical and social sciences offered at the Academy.
- The Lyre represents the appreciation of the arts that students acquire through their courses and activities.
Esse Quam Videri, "To Be, Rather Than to Seem," is our school motto.